No big surprises in the Village Voice’s Our 10 Best Museum Restaurants:
10. Untitled at The Whitney Museum
9. Robert at the Museum of Arts and Design
8. Fraunces Tavern at the Fraunces Tavern Museum
7. El Café at El Museo del Barrio
6. The Morgan Dining Room at the Morgan Library & Museum
5. Birdbath at the New Museum
4. Garden Court Café at the Asia Society
3. The Bar Room of the Modern at the Museum of Modern Art
2. The Café at the Rubin Museum of Art
1. Café Sabarsky at the Neue Galerie
But I’m thinking I should probably do a little research myself…
Holland Cotter’s NYT piece on The Buddhist Heritage of Pakistan: Art of Gandhara is probably my favorite exhibition review of the summer. From the start, it is obvious that Cotter is enjoying his subject and the controversy surrounding the exhibition. He also includes numerous delectable pop-culture references throughout the piece (he describes the above depiction of paradise as “a kind of flash-mob version of heaven”) and reading the whole thing was like being led on a cheery little adventure.
It is reviews like this that make me want to experience culture and write about it.
Thanks, Holland! Can I call you Holland?
The Buddhist Heritage of Pakistan: Art of Gandhara opened on Wednesday at The Asia Society. It closes on October 30th.